Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Running Through My Mind

I find significance in all kinds of small details when I run; I'm hyper aware of my surroundings, the sensations in my body, and the thoughts running through my mind.  Everything is clearer, heightened. -- Kristin Armstrong

Today I ran a 15K race; I ran the same race last year and today I chalked up a PR by over 15 minutes.  Instead of finishing at the back of the pack, I was squarely in the middle.  In fact, if this were a math problem, I'd be above the median...19 out of 38 in my age group.  I'm pretty proud of myself.  I also got to spend 90 minutes thinking...so here is some of what was running through my mind.



  • #megsmiles.  A local woman was killed while running this week, run down by a drunk driver.  I never met her, but we were members of the same (large) running club and we must have run some of the same races.  (She was fast - training for Boston...)  There was a nationwide movement to run for Meg yesterday.  I didn't run yesterday, but today I ran for Meg.  There was a moment of silence for her before the race and most of the runners were wearing blue, Meg's favorite color.  It was really cool to see all over the race course.  And really sad to think about her.
  • Runners are cool in other ways too.  The sound system (iPod) cut out during the beginning of the National Anthem.  The race director said (I think jokingly?) that we'd just have to sing it.  And we did.   It was neat to see how nearly everyone participated.
  • I love running.  Today's run felt good - I felt strong, I ran good lines, I charged up the hills like a mountain goat.  I was passing people all the way until the end.  It was awesome.
  • I think part of why I like running is that growing up, I had good coaches.  In junior high and high school, when I ran cross-country, I really truly liked who I was running for.  Now I have an idiot for a coach, but I still like running.  Before you think I'm bashing someone, remember the adage about the person who represents themselves in court - he has a fool for a client and idiot for a lawyer.  ;-)
  • It's a lot more fun to be in the middle of the pack than at the back.  I need to remember this the next time I feel like being a slacker with my training.  Clearly it's paying off, I just need to keep it going.
  • Did I mention I ran like a mountain goat?

No comments:

Post a Comment