Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, May 4, 2017

What Moves Me?

The changing of the goals helps keep the motivation fresh. -- Bradley Wiggins

Other people's success spurs me on to do well and gives me motivation. -- Nicholas Hoult

I read somewhere that, in order to push through the hard times in training and races, you need to know your motivation.  What is it that is pushing you?  Why do you want this so bad?

I've found for me, however, that there is no one thing. There are many things and they push me in different ways and for different reasons.  I don't know if that ultimately is a problem - maybe if I had ONE THING it would be more effective and getting me through the tough times.  But sometimes I feel like the one thing gets stale and becomes less powerful.

So what moves me?
Being a good role model to this kid.  And her sister.  Sometimes people ask me how I motivate my daughters to do sporting events with the intensity and passion that they have.  Honestly, I don't think it has much to do with me, but I know if I give up, if I don't try, if I sit on the couch...then that's what they may think is the best use of their time.  I am motivated to be a role model for an active life.


Being inspired by people like this.  Terry Fox attempted to run across Canada with one leg, only quitting because his cancer came back.  Knowing that other people out there are doing things that are truly hard.  My workouts may seem hard for me, but how can I not give it my all when there are so many harder things out there and people doing amazing things that are really, truly hard.

Gold stars.  Yeah.  I'm so totally motivated by gold stars.  And praise.  Kind of like a toddler or a dog.  I will work hard so you will be happy with my efforts.  Honestly, that is one of the top reasons I need (and love) my coach.  Having her look over my workouts and be happy (because I totally worked hard and earned it - I don't pay her just to be happy at me, although I could get into that too...paying someone to just walk around and praise you...that would be neat) has been a big motivator for me.

There are other things too...but no one thing gets me through any workout or race.  All these things and more push me to work hard and finish strong.  Maybe it's not the best approach, but it's working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment