Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, May 12, 2014

Bad Mojo

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. -- Thomas Jefferson

This past week, really, after Tuesday's awesome long ride, I fell into some bad training mojo.   I was just over it.  Over everything really - I was kind of just crabby at life in general.  Sure, I had a great business trip (and who doesn't love running in Florida), but otherwise my whole outlook was MEH.  This is not a good thing with Raleigh.  Then Muncie.  The Louisville.  Then OBX.

Some of it maybe something my husband said to me that was meant to be sweet but I probably internalized it the wrong way.  Basically he pulled up my race results from the beginning of me doing tris and pointed out that I have been squarely back-of-the-pack, peaking (on one tiny occasion) at middle-of-the-pack.  He said it was impressive that I was even still doing tris, because most people would have given up by now.  I get the point he was trying to make - I am persistent.  I have dug my heels into doing tris and I'm not going to stop just because I suck.  But the hard part was the fact that I have (and pretty much still do) sucked at it.

I don't blame my funk on him.  What's in my mind is my doing...but I need to get out of it.  I have too much training to do - and now is the best time to do it.  It's getting hot, so I can start getting acclimated.  In theory, if my life wasn't so busy, I'd be getting out in the open water more (which I need DESPERATELY!)...gotta figure out how to do this before Raleigh, especially since the idea of wet-suit-legal looks pretty slim.

So anyway, I am banishing my bad mojo.  I missed my Masters swim this morning and can't go because of soccer tonight, so I'm going to head over to the Y pool and try to get a swim in, and then head out for a longish hot run to start getting my heat on.  Tomorrow I'm going to get my nutrition dialed in on my long bike (thinking about doing a short swim or short run ahead of it to really get the nutrition story down).  I didn't have a problem last year at Patriot's but I don't think I ate enough on the bike - plus it wasn't near so hot.

With the right mental attitude I can achieve all my goals.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment