Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Little Glimpses and Baby Steps and A Christmas Carol

Life is a series of baby steps along the way and if you add up these tiny little steps you take toward your goal, whatever it is, whether it's giving up something a terrible addiction or trying to work your way through an illness.  When you total up those baby steps you'd be amazed over the course of 10 years, the strides you've taken. -- Hoda Kotb

Occasionally I am starting to see little glimpses of what I had before I got hurt this year.  This week I ran 3 miles without any walk breaks.  And I ran 7.5 miles at a 9:1 ratio of run:walk.  And both were good.  Not fast.  Not as fast as I have been and not even fast, period.  But my foot didn't hurt.  And both outings made me feel as though I am going to get back there.  Someday.


(BTW - I kind of love Gonzo...this is my 2nd favorite all-time Muppet song.)

I'm also starting to see tiny glimpses of things good things to come.  (Yeah, I realize I'm starting to sound like A Christmas Carol . . . the ghost of Christmas Past, the ghost of Christmas Present...it's that time of year.)  I have moved up a lane in swimming - LANE 3!  OMG.  I can't keep up completely - especially when we are doing pull sets, but I'm getting there and it's exciting.  I was getting comfortable (and occasionally frustrated) in my old lane.  I'm not comfortable in my new lane, but I feel like it will be good for me.  It's time to take my swimming a baby step further.

And to wrap up the trilogy...the ghost of Christmas Long Ago...it is hard to get to this time of year without remembering where I was 9 years ago.  My baby was almost one.  I was out of shape, a lot heavier and fatter than I am now, and I didn't have any sort of ambition with respect to my health and fitness.  It's hard to even remember what that felt like, especially now where my whole family's world revolves around sports, racing, and other healthy activities.  Even though I've lost some of the fitness I have recently had and gained some pounds I'd rather have kept lost, the quote above is spot on...it's amazing how many years of baby steps can take you to someplace you never dreamed of being.  It's been a long hike, full of tiny steps forwards and back, but I can't wait to see what is coming up ahead.

I'll leave you with one of my favorite Christmas carols (without the ghosts, of course)...

No comments:

Post a Comment