Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, December 22, 2014

Holiday Traditions

It's true, Christmas can feel like a lot of work, particularly for mothers.  But when you look back on all the Christmases in your life, you'll find you've created family traditions and lasting memories.  Those memories, good and bad, are really what help keep a family together over the long haul. -- Caroline Kennedy

You know your family has a problem when your Christmas card has a bunch of triathlon pictures on it.  :)  I was going back through the year, looking at the times our family spent together, and races were definitely prevalent.  So I put some on our card.  I was worried that it would look goofy, but IronSherpa said it looked good, so out it went.  I guess it shouldn't matter - our family and friends already know what nuts we are!

This year we are making some traditions and memories around the holidays, involving races, naturally.  On Thanksgiving, IronSherpa and I ran the same Turkey Trot 10K we ran last year.  I was slower, but still - it was a good event.  Then the entire family ran the Toys for Tots 5K.  I ran it last year with the Youngest, but this year we all ran.  Everyone set a PR except me - and IronSherpa and Oldest both got awards for placing in their age groups.  It was really pretty awesome and a tradition I'd like to continue.  Finally, last year I ran the First Day 5K on New Years Day...and this year IronSherpa and Youngest will be running it with me.  Eldest is going to volunteer.  The family that races together creates traditions and memories and stays together.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment