Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, April 17, 2015

J is for Juggle

Like every mom, you try to juggle, but I also want people to know that you don't have to be a superhero.  I'm not a superhero; I have a team of people who help me.  I have a great family support system. -- Kimora Lee Simmons

There are lots of reasons for that gap between men's and women's wages but to me, the big one is the work-family issue.  Trying to juggle children and a job is tough under any circumstances, but especially if you're shooting for the kind of career that involves long hours at work and being on call 24-7. -- Gail Collins

Spring is the hardest season for me, I think.  The juggling that occurs just to make it through the week is extraordinary.  Elder daughter plays on 2 soccer teams (school and travel) which means 2x1.5 hours of practice most week nights, not to mention games during the week (school) and on the weekend (travel).  Younger daughter who does triathlon and volleyball is busier with the end of volleyball...meaning lots of games...and the beginning of tri season...most kid tris seem to be scheduled early season around here.  Then Iron Sherpa and I are also ramping up our training for our early season HIMs.  And this spring I've gotten some fantastic opportunities related to work that have involved travel - whether it be a day trip to DC or a couple days elsewhere.  Basically I feel lucky if everyone is where they are supposed to be, most of our clothes are clean, and there is something -- anything -- to eat in the house.  (And it's been a close call on that last one a few times.)

That being said, I'm also finishing up the semester, so there's a spurt of busyness, followed by summer - where I'm busy on my own schedule.  And also busy training (when not on vacation).

With the 50 Women to Kona discussions going on, there is a side conversation about other things that keep women from pursuing long course triathlon.  The point most frequently raised (at least in the corners I lurk) is that the juggle is too much.  And I get it.  Believe me.

I am not a superhero.  I don't do things perfectly.  I sometimes let balls drop (oops - was our car license plate supposed to be renewed 3 months ago?  and we're out of trash bags???)  But I am training for long course and I'm getting by.  So FWIW, here are some of the thoughts I have on why it works FOR ME.  Your mileage may vary.
1)  My husband is supportive.  Even before Iron Sherpa started doing triathlons, he understood the importance of my training and worked with me to make it happen.  Now that he's also going long course, he understands even more.
2)  My kids are a little older and used to pitching in.  Now, them being older cuts both ways.  Half of the time the crazy in our house is due to their scheduling overlaps.  But we can leave them alone for short periods.  They can walk to school if we need to get out early.  We know and trust the carpool parents and can switch off driving when necessary.  AND they can help.  They can help with the dishes, with dinner, getting themselves ready for events and the next day.  They're good kids who (generally) do their homework without any nagging.
3)  We are Team Osenga.  We support each other's activities - and that means going to each other's events (even when they're boring) and helping out around the house when other people are busy.  We try to eat together if possible, even if it means some crazy eat times or some fairly lame food.  Sometimes we combine our activities - Iron Sherpa or I will go for a run during one of the daughter's practices.  And all four of us ascribe to this idea of team.
4)  We have some luxuries that not everyone has.  I have an incredibly flexible schedule.  This lets me get some long workouts in during the week without completely ruining family time.  And this also lets me free up weekends for Iron Sherpa to get in some of his long workouts while I shuttle the girls, etc.  We have fantastic carpool friends on Elder's soccer team.  And this year we have hired a cleaning company to visit our house every other week.

This is how we juggle.  It's not easy and it's not for everyone.  But I'm proof it is not impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment