Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, April 24, 2015

Just Like Starting Over...

So it's like starting over again, but I look forward to the challenge. -- Lee Majors

Tri season is here.  Open water season is here.  And my anxiety is flaring up like you wouldn't believe.  Iron Sherpa is like - "Girl, you've done all of this before, why are you all nervous?"  And I'm like - "Ummm.  No idea but it feels all different than before."  And it does.  It's like this season I'm starting new from scratch, which is just goofy.


I'm certain part of my mental drama is that I have DNF for my last two A-races...not through any "fault" of my own.  I didn't cause the stress fracture or the hypothermia, but still, it makes the finish line feel really far away in my mind, no matter how long the race.

But tomorrow is my first tri of the season.  It's an open-water-type swim in a pool (no lane lines, buoys to round) and then a short bike and run.  And it's supposed to be damn cold - low 40s when I'm supposed to be running out of the pool and getting on my bike.  Hypothermia calling?  Anyone?  Anyone?  I'm trying to figure out how much to bundle so that it doesn't send me over the edge, because I still HATE being cold, this many weeks after the marathon.  Yeah, I guess I'm being a little whiny.

But classes are done for the semester and I'm getting ready to settle into writing and training mode, at least until vacation.  Then I'm going to have a great time before returning to writing and training mode.  :)  I am looking forward to a good productive summer for both.  Now if we could just get some summer weather, it would be a lot easier.  Y'know what I mean?  Where is spring this year?  It is either cold or unseasonably warm for a couple days.  And then cold again.

I'm going to rock my race tomorrow.  I'm going to swim well.  I'm going to bundle up in T1.  I'm going to bike hard.  I'm going to unbundle in T2.  And I'm going to run my little heart out.  Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment