Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, May 14, 2015

The Fatigued Fool

Fatigue makes fools of us all.  It robs you of your skills and your judgment, and it blinds you to creative solutions.  It's the best-conditioned athlete, no the most talented, who generally wins when the going gets tough. -- Harvey Mackay

I am certainly not the best-conditioned athlete right now...more like the fatigued fool.  Ugh.  Soooo.  Tired.  I am trying to incorporate more speedwork into my training so that I can get faster...but it's killing me.  My legs for my long run this morning were like lead.  I got a good night's sleep, I ate a decent breakfast, I'm hydrated...and yet, I had a terrible run.  All I can figure is that it had to do with actually doing my speed workouts on Monday and Tuesday.  See...here's the thing.  I'm usually lazy about speed workouts.  If the plan says run 4 miles, including x of speed work, just run 4 miles and call it good.  But I've decided if I'm ever going to get faster, I should probably start following the plan and do the speedwork as written.  Well - that felt awesome to do my workouts as planned...but today I fell way short.  I just couldn't finish my long run because...tired.

I know that if I keep stressing my body this way, eventually I'll adapt.  But in the meantime. ugh.  I think I'll go take a nap now.

No comments:

Post a Comment