Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The 5 Stages of IM

The five stages -- denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance -- are a part of the framework...They are tools to help us frame and identify what we may be feeling.  -- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross  (with apologies for my edits that completely change her point)

It's not denial.  I'm just selective about the reality I accept. -- Bill Watterson

IM Maryland is coming.  Whether I'm ready or not.  And that fact alone brings on all sorts of feelings...denial (no way, I have plenty of time), anger (get away from me, I'm so freakin' irritated), bargaining (just let me get through this workout and I'll feel a little better), depression (there's no way I'm going to make it), and acceptance (it is coming, it will happen, I will be OK).

In so many ways, I feel a lot less ready than I felt for IM Louisville last year.  On the other hand, I've had some much better workouts than I had last year -- more long bikes, etc.  I should feel better, but I actually feel a lot more nervous than last year.  Maybe because this year has been pretty miserable -- starting with the DNF at Louisville, then the hypothermia incident in March, and as recently as dropping a drawer on my foot in August...there have been so many random things that have made me question my ability.  On the other hand, and on certain days, I know I can do it.  I can.  It's just really hard to select those days over the dark days where I feel that I can't.

Part of this inability to make the positive choice could be because I'm. SO. Flippin.  Tired.  But that's good - I should be happy because being tired means my training is coming together.  I get to rest when I taper.  But I think more so that my inability to make the positive choice about my success all the time is something deeper and darker...and I only have a few weeks to get over the darkness and be ready to make the positive choice on race day.  Because it will be a battle of mind over body, and I want my mind to win.


No comments:

Post a Comment