Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, August 17, 2015

Long Day...

Sometimes it feels like my life is just one long day. -- John Mayer

Yesterday was my first "long day" of training.  I've had other long days, but there are two on my schedule that are LONG days of training.  Mini-IM days.  Unfortunately, I was going into this one hurt...my foot is still not quite right and I hadn't worn a real shoe on my right foot until yesterday.  But all in all, I should be pleased.  I learned some things and got a little bit of confidence - which is the whole point of this training.

The good news is that I'm feeling a lot better about my swim.  I swam about 3/4 of the IM distance, in a pool...talk about brain numbing..., in about 1:12.  This gives me 1:08 to swim the remaining 1/4.  Obviously it won't take me as long to swim 1/4 as it takes to swim 3/4, so that's awesome.  Of course, in the open water, I tend to be a little slower - but hopefully IM MD will be wetsuit legal, which helps a ton.  I'm feeling much better about my swim in any case, and that's a huge plus from yesterday.

The bad news is that my foot is still funky.  I was supposed to go 6-7 hours and get in around 100 miles on the bike.  But I hadn't ridden outside since I got hurt and I was worried about the stopping that you have to do when you ride outside with cars and stuff.  So I opted to ride inside.  I made it about 5:15.  And it was horrible.  Boring.  Tedious.  And of course, when you are bored, you can focus on how much everything sucks, like how much your foot hurts and how much you want a cheeseburger.  Seriously.  At about 4:30, I needed to go get some lunch meat because I was fairly certain I would die if I ate another sweet thing and I was super hungry.  So I learned I will need to put something in my special needs bag that is savory.  I had joked about it, but now I'm serious.  It will be so much better than a candy bar.  :)

And then the run.  Er.  Walk.  Well, I walked for over an hour.  And not a leisurely stroll, but it didn't feel great and I am kind of bummed about that.  I'm hoping to get a chance to try out running this week...it's a recovery week, which means I have a lighter load.  A little more time for my foot to heal.  Less than 7 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment