Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Sunday, December 13, 2015

A Long Way to Go and a Short Time to Get There...

It's been a long slog back, and we've still got a long way to go. -- Ted Strickland

I've got a long way to go to being the ultimate best, but I think my time is now.  And I'm starting to enter my prime. -- Kevin Durant

I ran the Toys for Tots 5K today.  It was a long way off my 5K PR...and I know this, because I gathered up my past race info and PR data for my new coach.  So, right now more than other times, I am acutely aware of just how slow I am now in comparison to other points in my life.  And not just because I'm getting older, because 2014 was actually one of my two good recent years.


All I can really say is that I have a long way to go...and a short time to get there, if I want to accomplish my goals for 2016.  (You may be saying to yourself - hey, that phrase sounds so familiar...but why?  From Smokey and the Bandit, of course, and that great song from Jerry Reed.  Click the video - you know you want to.)


Anyway, I am viewing today's race as a baseline.  A good place to start from.  I gave it a good effort and I see how far I need to go to get back to my happy place.  I have a new coach who wants to help me get there.  And I have the willpower to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment