Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Slowly, Getting Faster


Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature, is a help. -- May Sarton

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was from a horse master.  He told me to go slow to go fast.  I think that applies to everything in life.  We live as though there aren't enough hours in the day but if we do each thing calmly and carefully we will get it done quicker and with much less stress. -- Viggo Mortensen


And if Aragorn tells you, wearing that very earnest face, to go slow, well...you should listen.  Oh, wait - I mean if your coach tells you to go slow...you should listen.  After all, that's why I have a coach, right?  To listen?

It has been a hard change for me, going slow.  I'm not the first person, nor will I be the last person, to complain about heart rate training.  The whole idea of HR training is that we go too slow on our fast days and too fast on our slow days.  But if we use HR as a guide, we should end up pacing better for the various workouts.  The problem is, slow days feel AWFUL.  (So do fast days, but that's OK - that's the whole point.)  But slow days are supposed to be super-easy.  But super-easy, especially if you're not in the shape you want to be (or maybe even if you are, I wouldn't know!), is painfully slow.  Like snail's pace.  Like when I started out HR training this spring, I think a snail passed me.  :)

I am anxious to get back to fit.  Back into shape.  Back to not so damn slow.  And here my coach is telling me to run slow.  How's that supposed to work?  Besides, if it's this easy, how in the world is it working?  I mean, if leisurely walking would have gotten me into shape, I should be a fitness model, right?  Because leisurely walking is about all I could handle.  The whole system is counter-intuitive...and I never would have been able to do it without a coach.  (Thanks, Coach Kelly!)

Anyway, this past weekend I had a nice long run.  The first hour was supposed to be zone 1...leisurely.  The second hour, I was allowed to raise that a bit.  And you know what?  I loved it.  I enjoyed it.  And I ran faster than I have in a good year, probably - because my body is finally getting its act back together.  This HR training thing works.  Not only was I able to run faster for longer...but it felt great.  I didn't feel like I was dying the whole time.  This is the thing!

Now, don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go...but I believe in my training and that's the first hurdle.  I am seeing progress and its starting to make sense, which should have the positive feedback effect of making it even easier to follow instructions.  Now...back to training.

(But first, HR training has me "Feeling Groovy"....slow down, you move too fast...)



No comments:

Post a Comment