Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Two. Months.

The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.  Rabindranath Tagore

Well.  There are two months to Ironman Louisville.  And I'm freaking out a little bit...because that's what I do.  But I also need to remember, I'm a butterfly.  I need to count moments - and there are plenty of those between now and the race.

Of course, I need to make the most of those moments.  I am doing my best to follow my coach's plan - including practicing my fueling and acting like an athlete...which is NOT in my normal nature.  I'm a fantastic eater when I'm not training - fantastic meaning I like to eat.  :)  But when I'm training, I really don't like eating and it's not really working out for me so well.  So one of my goals for long workouts is to fuel like an athlete.

What am I eating (or at least what am I supposed to be eating)?  Picky bars, gels and chews, bananas, and sports drink.  Doesn't sound horrible, right?  Except after a couple hours of this, I either want a cheeseburger and fries or NOTHING.  Nothing at all.  Food doesn't even sound good.  But no fuel means the engine doesn't go.  And so...I get to spend the next two months (and any number of moments) practicing how to eat.  :)  When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment