Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Impostor Syndrome

Life's like a movie, write your own ending.  Keep believing, keep pretending. -- Jim Henson

Being is like pretending. -- Mira Sorvino

I suffer from impostor syndrome.  It's not all that uncommon for people in my line of work - I'm a professor.  There are many jokes, memes, etc., about impostor syndrome in academia.  It's just a thing.


On the off chance you're unfamiliar - impostor syndrome (according to Wikipedia) refers to "high-achieving individuals marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a fraud."  Regardless of evidence to the contrary, I wonder whether I know enough, write enough, am smart enough to be the professor I am.

I also suffer from impostor syndrome with respect to triathlons.  OK, maybe I'm not high-achieving athletically, but sometimes I still wonder whether I'm really a triathlete...despite the fact I've finished x triathlons.  When I hang out with other triathletes, sometimes I wonder if I really belong there.  It's really the same feelings I have in my professional life.  Weird huh?


So an interesting thing happened yesterday, my two pretend worlds collided...and weirdly enough, I feel a little like less of an impostor because of it...which I have to say is unexpected.  And a little bit cool.

I won a big teaching award yesterday.  In receiving my award, the provost of the university was laying out my accomplishments and mentioned that in my spare time, I do triathlons.  Then I got my plaque and while shaking hands with the university president, he remarked how impressed he was.  In a world where I feel like an impostor for teaching, I got mad props for doing triathlons.  Weird, huh?

And then, because what else would I do, I put a few snaps of me and my award on Facebook.  And then all my triathlon friends remarked how awesome it was that I was a great teacher and that they weren't at all surprised.  Even weirder?

Anyway, I realize that impostor syndrome doesn't serve me well in either sphere of my life - clearly I need to do a better job of accepting the external evidence that I'm doing just fine.  I deserve to be there.  I belong and I succeed.  And maybe this weird juxtaposition will give me a little boost along that path.

No comments:

Post a Comment