Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, October 21, 2016

Athlete 2.0

Super-ambitious goals tend to be unifying and energizing to people, but only if they believe there's a chance of success. -- Peter Diamandis

Optimism with some experience behind it is much more energizing than plain old experience with a certain degree of cynicism. -- Twyla Tharp

There are a couple of directions a person can go after a disappointing race - they can be upset, devastated even, and continue looking backward...or they can be energized, enthusiastic, and start looking forward again.  I am happy to report that I fall into the latter category.  I'm ready to embark on ATHLETE 2.0 - the quest for a better me, ready to nail my 2017 season.  I'm optimistic, excited, and blessed with some experience that tells me what I need to do to improve...and most of all, I'm ready to take on super-ambitious goals.

Now, there are a few monkey wrenches that have been thrown into planning those super-ambitious goals, but that's a story for another post.  The point of this post is to let you know I'm here and I'm ready to rock.

So what has experience told me and what am I doing about it?  Well - I need to fix some things about myself.  A smaller and healthier body would suit me better than the body I have right now.  Also, I need to make sure I'm eating properly to fuel my training - I had some problems with this towards the end of summer...and in a couple of ways, if I'm being honest.  I did not hesitate to eat junk, because I was training.  But I also didn't eat nearly enough, because I wasn't hungry.  So the first step of Athlete 2.0 is to work on eating and drinking myself to a more healthy place.

I have about 5 months to my first big race of 2017 (Tobacco Road Marathon) and about a year until Ironman 2017 (whichever one that will be - TBD)...so plenty of time to get my body (and mind) into a good place so all the training I have done doesn't go to waste.  Because I have a long time and because small changes stick, I've decided to make gradual, small changes at regular intervals until I get things straight.

So what's first?  Well, first my coach sent me a copy of this book, which I'm reading.

Second, I've started keeping track of my food (again).  I have a love/hate relationship with food logging.  It's boring.  And irritating.  And since I cook at least 4 nights a week, a lot of work.  But when I do it, I learn things and see patterns that aren't working, etc.

Finally, my last small change is to stop drinking anything other than water, coffee, and wine.  No diet pop.  No crystal lite.  This will change again when I get back into longer training (like many hours) and need some gatorade.  But for now, in the "off season" I need to get back to simple.

Stay tuned to see what changes are coming next...and where IM 2017 for me is going to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment