Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, June 9, 2014

Sick

There is one consolation in being sick; and that is the possibility that you may recover to a better state than you were ever in before. -- Henry David Thoreau

'Tis healthy to be sick sometimes. -- Henry David Thoreau

Well, I guess these quotes should make me feel better, right?  I am VERY sick right now.  Started as a chest cold which has taken residence in my head.  I am NOT good at being sick, especially when I look at my training plan and see what I am supposed to be doing this week.  Last week was a down-week in my training plan (following a build and Raleigh) - this week is supposed to the beginning of a build period again...and I am crashed out on the couch.  :(  I tried to ride the trainer yesterday, but made it about 11 minutes before I needed to stop.

That being said, I had a couple of surprisingly good workouts last week before falling apart on Saturday.  On Wednesday I had a good solid trainer ride building endurance.  On Thursday I ran for my employer as part of the Corporate 4-Miler.  I laid it out there and had a really good run - I wasn't expecting much given that I was recovering from Raleigh, but I figured a short hard run would be good for me - and it was, especially for my confidence.  I was really disappointed in my Raleigh run...I was worried maybe my run mojo was completely gone.  But no - it was just the mess of the 70.3.  I can still run.  And run fast (for me).  On Friday I had a nice little recovery run in the middle of the day (good for starting to build my heat tolerance) and then a great OWS on Friday night.  We did the normal Friday night distance workout - up the river for a certain period of time, then back down river.  I made it further up the river than I ever did last year - cool for me.  I still had issues with sighting - the sun was crazy once I got about 13 minutes up river.  Next time we're out there I need to test out the smoke goggles...'cause it freaks me out to not see at all.

Anyway.  I know I need to follow & trust my training to get through IMLOU.  I also know that I need to get healthy before I can train.  Now I just need to figure out how to reconcile those two competing interests.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment