Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, October 20, 2014

Lessons Learned

There are no regrets in life, just lessons. -- Jennifer Aniston

I haven't had much to say recently.  I'm slowly trying to build back up to where I was before...in so many areas of my life.  I'm trying to get my fitness and strength back.  I'm trying to regain my interest and willpower to eat properly.  I'm trying to get organized and caught up on everything, especially the mountain of things I let slide while training for Louisville.  These things all take time and, to be honest, they're not that interesting to talk about.  Mostly they make me feel all introvert-y and dwell-y.  But that's OK - I'm not going to talk about them today.  I'm going to share some lessons learned during my run up to Louisville (and after); they're not all the lessons I learned, because I only remember some of them when I do them wrong again...but at least it's something.


  • You can't judge a current by the practice swim.  It may be lovely and smooth as glass the day before and chop city the day of the race.  Or it can be fast as hell the day before the race and much more languid on race morning.  It doesn't matter what it is the day before, does it?
  • Pizza is always a good pre-race meal.  Not only does it sit well (with me at least), but your sherpas (family) will also be pleased to eat something that is not gross.  Like protein shakes.
  • If it hurts, figure out what hurts.  Is it your brain or is it your body?  Sometimes your brain lies.  If your brain is lying to you, keep going a little further.  If your body is saying it hurts, STOP and listen.  There's a reason for it.
  • Don't underestimate chamois cream.  That is enough on that point.
  • Liquid calories are good.  At some point, even chocolate poptarts don't taste good.  And on the same point, Hot Fudge Sundae poptarts are the bomb.
  • When you aren't training for an Ironman, you should not eat like you are still training for an Ironman.  Your scale will thank you.  Hot Fudge Sundae poptarts should be reserved for Ironman training.
  • Becoming one with your bike is a good thing.  Name her.  Love her.  Don't forget to wipe off all that sports drink you spilled down the front of her because then it gets like fly paper all up in there and it's nasty and your favorite Iron sherpa gets all crabby when he has to clean it.  
  • If you register for a race thinking you can train in the heat, it will be an unnaturally cold summer.  If you register for a race thinking it will be cool, you will train in the cool and race day will be a heat wave.  If you register for a race thinking you know anything about what the weather will be for training season or race day, you are delusional.
  • There are worse things that can happen than DNF'ing a race.  Remember that and be grateful.
  • People will think you're a bad ass whether you finish an Ironman or not.  It's very strange.  Enjoy the compliments.
  • However long you think you've been out there -- whether training or during the race -- you're over-estimating.  Keep swimming.  Keep biking.  Keep running.  You're doing fine.
  • Hot Fudge Sundae poptarts really are better than you'd expect.  So are Nerds candy.  Advil is also good.  Licking salt out of a plastic baggy?  Surprisingly like drinking a margarita without the beverage.
That's all I got for now.  There are more where those come from.


No comments:

Post a Comment