Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, January 2, 2015

2015 - Make It a Great Year!

Change and renewal are themes in life, aren't they?  We keep growing throughout life. -- Susan Minot

New Year's Day.  A fresh start.  A new chapter in life waiting to be written.  New questions to be asked, embraced, and loved.  Answers to be discovered and then lived in this transformative year of delight and discovery.  . . . Only dreams give birth to change. -- Sarah Ban Breathnach

I'll admit it -- I'm a bit of a "resoluter."  I pretend to disdain those folks who think they can only make changes on January 1, or at the beginning of the month, or on Monday.  But really, seeing a wide open calendar with none of the past year's mistakes or regrets makes me want to be better.  I set goals, I make plans, I prepare for a good year.  So yeah - I'm not much better than the people who are starting their diet today.  Who hit the gym yesterday.  Who have big dreams for 2015.

I guess the only way I am different is that usually I fade in October, rather than in 2 weeks.  And usually it's after some big thing, not just because I'm bored of my resolutions.  In 2013, I kind of went downhill after I was successful at the HIM.  In 2014, I went downhill (and then some) after the IMLOU disaster.  Maybe I shouldn't put myself in the same category as the "resoluters" but I'm telling you right now, I'm looking at today, January 2, as a fresh start.  A time to get my diet back on track (because you don't even want to know how much extra junk I got in the trunk right now), get my training amped up a level, and get some other areas of my life straightened out.

(Of course, the "diet" - which isn't really a diet but just plain old good eating habits - starts today, because NYE and NY Day are really just excuses to eat all night and all day.  See, I'm making excuses already, in true resoluter fashion.)

That all being said, I'm not starting from zero, obviously.  I've been on the comeback trail for a little while - basically since I was cleared to run again.  It hasn't been easy and my mojo isn't always where it used to be...but I've had some good showings.  On NYE, I did the same swim challenge I did last year - 100x100s for charity.  Last year I swam 50x100s and was way impressed with myself.  This year I swam 71.  And I can't move my arms anymore.  And on NY Day, last year I set a 5K PR...this year I did the same race, and although no PR, my unofficial time was sub-30, which means I'm on my way back.  So I have a lot to be proud of, even before the year starts.  But I also have some big goals for the year and they're going to take a lot of work and that is scary.

You've heard all about the sub-5 marathon goal - and I have 2 marys on the calendar - DC Rock & Roll in March and OBX in November.  And I WILL finish IM MD in October.  I will be an IRONMAN.  Damnit.  I also have 30 pounds I need to lose.  My weight has been a roller coaster for the last few years - and even when I got it back down (after it going back up), it never went back to my "goal" weight...(and 30 pounds won't get me there either)...but last year it just crept up as I ate like a lumberjack (er, I mean Ironman) and then when I sat about on my butt for the last 3 months.  I think the goals are tied together - I can't succeed at the race goals without taking off some of the baggage...so that's added incentive.  These are HUGE goals for me - brick walls in front of me, obstacles beyond comprehension...but I believe I can achieve them and I'm willing to put in the work.

Another goal is for me to write here more - I felt a lot better about my training when I started this blog a few years ago and it kept me motivated.  So my goal for 2015 is to blog 3x a week...to keep me connected to my goals and keep me accountable.  I have left some of the other training websites I used to use - they weren't really keeping me motivated or accountable anymore, plus I have real-life friends that have stepped in for some of the "virtual" friends that I used to enjoy from the websites.  But without the website, I don't have the same outlet for my training ups and downs...so here they will go.

Have a great 2015!  May your goals be as big and scary as mine, and may you achieve them!

No comments:

Post a Comment