Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Spring has Sprung?

In the spring, I have counted 136 different kinds of weather inside of 24 hours. -- Mark Twain

I believe in process.  I believe in four seasons.  I believe that winter's tough, but spring's coming.  I believe that there's a growing season. And I think that you realize that in life, you grow.  You get better. -- Steve Southerland

Just when I was starting to plot the various ways I could take revenge on the treadmills at the YMCA...and believe me, in my many hours, I have flitted around to a number of them (in order to adhere to the letter, if not the spirit, of the one-hour time limit)...anyway, thoughts of producing mechanical harm were looming large in my mind when the sun came out.  And the world became a better place.  [Note - no exercise equipment was harmed in the making of this blog; thoughts are not actions, regardless of how vivid.]




And to make up for my machine-related murderous thoughts, I give you a little bit of Cat Stevens and some peace...when spring came out this weekend, all I could think was:

Morning has broken like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word

Of course, my mood, like the weather in spring, is rather variable.  After running my last long run in the sunshine, feeling the heat on my face and enjoying the fact I wasn't bundled to the hilt, I got irritated because it's taper week, so I don't get to make full use of this beautiful week of weather that we're having. :(  And then, on Saturday, for my marathon, there's every chance of rain.  Pffft.  Spring.

Anyway, I'm excited about the marathon, in part because I'm anxious to see what I can do.  I know with the lack of training due to weather & building up slowly that it's going to be a struggle - so a lot of the race will be in my head - but heck, that should be good IM training, right?  Also, I'll be happy to get back to triathlon training.  I almost, kinda, sorta, a little bit, miss my bike.  Plus I'm curious to get Miss Daisy out on the road (the road bike I got after my stress fracture at IM LOU).  Yeah - I named her Miss Daisy - you want to make something of it?  I was going to name her Mint Car, but figured the reference would be lost on too many.


But maybe the words are just too perfect...rethinking the bike's name.

The sun is up
I'm so happy I could scream!
And there's nowhere else in the world I'd rather be
Than here with you
It's perfect
It's all I ever wanted
I almost can't believe that it's for real!

Spring on, everyone.  Spring on.

No comments:

Post a Comment