Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Backing Out, Stepping Up, and other Random Thoughts

If you just, pretty much, take a random 15-month-old, just sit and watch them for 10 minutes and count out how many experiments, how much thinking you see going on, and it will put the most brilliant scientist to shame. -- Allison Gopnik

So, it's been a long week since last post - and I don't have any coherent thoughts.  A 15-month-old would put me to shame with how much it thinks.  :)  (Actually, I just really thought that was a cool observation, so it has nothing to do with my thoughts, or lack thereof.)  See, here's the deal...I knew I was going to say random stuff, so I googled "random quotes" and then I read them until I found one I liked.  That's pretty much what I do every time I post, but usually the post and the quote have something to do with each other...

*  Backing Out - I sadly had another DNF this past weekend.  I was doing a hilly century ride as a training ride and I got terrible pain in my back.  So horrible that I was walking up every hill because it hurt too much to ride...and that was really bad because it was all hills, all the time.  I made it over half-way, but I had to get sagged in, and that was a bummer.  On the other hand, the race had some organizational issues that I avoided by not finishing...so, well, there is a small silver lining.

The bad part is that my back hurts because my hips and hammies are too tight.  And so I get loose and then they tighten up again.  I'm spending way too much time with a heating pad on my hips and back (and probably not enough time rolling and stretching, but I'm working on it...).

*  Stepping Up - I stepped into the role of Communications Coordinator for our triathlon club.  Not a glamorous job, but I'm excited because I've wanted to
become more involved...and now I am.  I posted the first monthly newsletter of my tenure as Coordinator this week.  I feel so accomplished!  :)

*  The 2-month to IM MD mark passed this week.  I'm stressed but confident.  That seems to be an appropriate level of anxiety, right?  I am having a hard time comparing last year's training to this year...for some reason I can't square whether I'm having a better training season or not - but I guess it really doesn't matter - it is what it is.

*  I need to eat more carbs.  I've been doing some research on endurance-training and racing nutrition and I don't think I've been fueling myself adequately for what I am doing...so I'm experimenting with adding some carbs in.  Oddly enough, it could be the magic that I need to drop a few pounds before MD.  (Oh, and I shouldn't drink as much wine, but what kind of fun would that be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment