Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Sometimes the Finish Line isn't the Best Goal

But for each of us, isn't life about determining your own finish line? -- Diana Nyad

This past weekend I didn't finish the OBX Marathon.  I waited for a sag wagon at mile 15.  And you know what?  I won the marathon.  That's not a typo.  I won on Sunday.

I signed up to run the OBX Marathon in 2014, thinking that after IM Louisville, I'd have the fitness to get my sub-5 marathon on the mostly flat course.  But then IMLOU ended with a stress fracture in my foot so I deferred OBX.

This fall, the question was to run, or not to run...and I wavered about eight million times about what to do.  I was going to run it, because I was fit from training for the IMMD-that-wasn't.  I wasn't going to run, because I'd taken enough hits (mentally & physically) this year.  I was going to run, because it was already paid for.  I wasn't going to run, because my coach didn't want me to.  I was going to run, because I'd rather do that than go to a soccer tournament with Elder Daughter.  (oops - that wasn't supposed to be part of the calculus)  I wasn't going to run, because it was going to be rainy.  One time, I had made my mind up to definitely not run - only to be talked back into it by Iron Sherpa.

So.  Ultimately I decided to run it.  But I would stop as soon as anything got painful.  As soon as my mind went to a dark place.  As soon as anything happened that would otherwise derail 2016 as being my year.  I promised Iron Sherpa.  I promised my coach.  And I promised myself.

It was a crappy day on Saturday as I drove the 3-ish hours to the OBX.  Rainy, windy.  I hate driving over long bridges, especially in the rain and wind.  I hate driving through tunnels.  So it was just not a good thing.  But I listened to TED talks and got pumped up.  (Yeah, I know - it's weird.)  When I pulled into the parking lot at the race expo...the sun came out.  It turned out to be a really nice afternoon.  I enjoyed the race expo -- I mean, who doesn't like shopping for running stuff.  (oops - well, I did buy IronSherpa some socks, so he can't be too upset that I shopped)  I took some pictures around town.  I went to a local restaurant and had a nice lunch and a craft beer.  And then I went to the grocery store, bought some breakfast and wine (not for breakfast) and bubbly water and checked into my hotel. And then I hunkered down - I watched college football, did some work, ordered pizza to eat with my wine, and watched crappy TV until I went to bed.  It was incredibly relaxing.

For reasons I can't fully explain, I slept terribly.  It happens.  And then Sunday morning I woke up and got ready for the race.  I will say, OBX SE  (Outer Banks Sporting Events) puts on a good show.  Everything went smoothly from beginning to end - more than I can say for most things I've done.  I relaxed at the start line - there was no pressure.  I had 7+ hours to finish.  I knew I was going to walk.  I knew I could stop if I had to.  This wasn't my A race or even a B race.  It was a long walk on a pretty fall Sunday morning.

I started the race with a very strict run-walk schedule 2:30/1:00.  And I did that for 8 miles and it worked awesome.  Even with stopping at a portapotty, I was holding about 12 minute miles.  Not fast, but perfectly acceptable given that it was a training walk. :)  When I hit mile 8, we were at the Wright Brothers National Memorial...and now I know why they picked that spot.  The wind was insane!  I was nearly blown sideways.  So I started walking without the run interval, and that was fine.  I was walking ~15-16 minutes/mile and kept that up through the half-marathon mark.  And that was challenging, since from about mile 10 to the halfway mark was a walk in the woods...some on a fire road, but a good portion on a path over an enormous sand dune.  (Whoever said OBX was flat except for the bridge at the end totally lied.  The hills through Jockey Ridge suck.)

After I got out of the woods...appropriately at the half mark, my knee felt a little tweaky.  But I had done the half mary in about 3 hours.  Not terrible.  Hell - I had a very bad standalone half-mary that took me more than 3 hours...but I'm not proud of that one.  Anyway - I was worried about the tweaky, but I also had 4+ hours to finish the second half.  So I knew I could walk it and be fine.  And I am tired of DNFs.  But that little tweak was a worrisome.

I called IronSherpa while I was walking - yes, I carried my phone, because I knew stopping was a possibility - and talked through the conundrum with him.  To stop or not to stop.  Well, I just kept walking past the med station at 13...but I slowed way down.  And then I slowed down even more.  And then I sat down and waited for the sweep wagon.  It took a while, but eventually it came by and I caught a ride to the finish line.

So, I didn't finish.  I went 8 good miles.  I am happy with 13 miles.  I did 2 miles beyond that that I maybe shouldn't have.  But I'm OK.  I'm actually happy - because I made the right decision.  Eyes on the prize...2016 will be my year.  I'm hoping for a sub-5 marathon at Tobacco Road in March. I will be happy with a PR (sub-5:12).  And I will be an Ironman at Louisville in October.  That's the finish line.  The finish line at OBX wasn't about crossing the timing mat at 26.2...it was about making a smart decision with the proper goals in mind.  That's my finish line...and I crossed it with my hands held high.

No comments:

Post a Comment