Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Love a Biker

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.  Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

I know that I said my next post would be about families who tri...but I was out at the Cap Trail today and wanted to talk about biking instead.  Maybe next time - families who tri...

Fishing is stupid and boring.  Biking is so much better.  I don't love biking - maybe I would if I was better at it.  But I do love bikers.  The world is full of people - some who love bikers and some who don't love bikers.  Surprisingly enough, I think there are a lot of people who ride bikes that don't love bikers...and that makes me sad.

The Cap Trail is fantastic and I love to see the bikers - men, women, all ages, all colors, all BMI measurements.  There are road bikes, tri bikes, recumbent bikes, tandems.  Some of the bikes cost more than my house.  Some of the bikes look like they weigh more than I do.  People ride in kits from races, clubs, colleges, and more.  Other people ride wearing...well, things I wouldn't ride a bike in...but hey.  I'm not judgy.

But there are some things bikers do that make me judgy.  And these things make me feel like these bikers maybe don't love other bikers.  And like I said, that makes me sad.

Bikers who don't wear helmets.  I know the argument is that not wearing a helmet only hurts the idiot that doesn't wear one...but I disagree.  If I see you and you're not wearing a helmet, I ride more carefully around you.  I slow down.  I ride far to the side.  Because you, obviously, don't care for your safety.  And so I can only assume you don't care for mine either.  The last two times I've ridden the Cap Trail, I saw a couple of helmet things that completely mystify me.  Last time, there was a couple riding who had bike helmets hanging off their handlebars.  WTH!  They OWNED helmets.  They had them with.  And they were carrying extra weight by hanging them...but they weren't wearing them.  So confusing!!!  Today, there was a family that spent a good 15 minutes putting on sunscreen...mom, dad, kids...but then went riding without helmets.  How do you care so much about your skin that you slather on the sunscreen, but you don't care enough about your noggin to put on helmets?  WTH!

Bikers who turn into jerks in cars.  Sure - you ride your bike and you put forth some good manners...until you're in your car.  And then you act like every other stupid redneck that hates bikers.  But it's worse - because you have a bike rack on that car...or a triathlon/cycling sticker...or both.  So when you buzz by me or try to run me off the road, I know you're a cyclist.  WTH!

Bikers who don't ask if help is needed.  I rode past a few people today who were pulled over to the side of the trail, looking like they may be having a mechanical.  So I slowed down and asked if they were OK and did they need anything.  And I always do this.  I'm glad they usually don't take me up on it, because I'm a bike mech idiot...I couldn't actually help them, but I'd be happy to share a tube or loan a wrench or whatever.  I don't ask if it's clear that they're just stopping to get a drink or if there are other people there with them.  But most people don't ask.  And that makes me angry.  And judgy.  And makes me think that people who don't ask don't really love other bikers.  How hard is it to see if someone needs help?

Anyway, I ask.  I usually do.  And today, there was a guy I asked who didn't need any help.  But when he passed me a mile or so later, he thanked me for checking on him and said he appreciated that someone cared.  Bikers should care about other bikers.  Bikers should care.  Bikers should love other bikers...and if they don't, they should go fishing instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment