Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Family That Tris

I think togetherness is a very important ingredient to family life.  -- Barbara Bush

Insanity runs in my family.  It practically gallops. -- Cary Grant

I tri.  My husband tris.  My younger daughter tris.  And my older daughter, before she got too busy playing competitive soccer, also tri'd (and occasionally kicks around the idea of doing a relay tri with us).  The family that tris together stays together, right?  The family that tris together also overwhelms the mailman...


All kidding aside, it's fun to be part of a triathlon family.  When we go to races, the girls know what is going on.  They know what to cheer for.  They recognize the achievements of the pros and of the back-of-the-pack.  They get it.  And because they get it, it's fun to be part of it with them.

But there's another thing that I've been thinking about regarding families who tri...these kids hopefully never have to hear that voice in their head that says "you can't be an athlete" - because even when they get old and fat and slow, they've been exposed to athletes just.  like.  that.  (Heck, my kids even live with an old and fat and slow triathlete.)

This video from Upworthy is awesome.  Watch it.  No really.

Anyway, I hope that growing up in a family of athletes will help my girls as teens.  There are plenty of studies and stuff that says healthy athleticism goes a long way to keeping teen girls out of trouble and more, well, healthy.  Food is fuel.  Working out keeps us strong.  Strong is pretty.

But I also hope that growing up in a family of athletes will help my girls when they get older.  They won't have to learn to swim as grownups - like I did.  They won't be afraid to try something new, because maybe they've already did it.  Or may be they'll enjoy the challenges of trying something new and won't be afraid for that reason.  And maybe that little voice that says "you can't be an athlete" won't even exist in their heads.  And if it exists...they will be able to shush it.

Next post - the one where I freak out about racing in 900 degree heat this coming weekend...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment