Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Vacation...and training?

My goal is to his the gym every day I'm on vacation.  Usually I just end up sleeping and drinking beer. -- Gary Allan

The purpose of a vacation is to have the time to rest.  But many of us, even when we go on vacation, don't know how to rest.  We may even come back more tired than before we left. -- Nhat Hanh

Last week I was on vacation.  Seven glorious days on a cruise ship in the Caribbean...so relaxing.  So restful.  So NOT conducive to training.  And maybe that's OK.  Sure, you plan to follow your training plan on vacation, but then there are so many other things to do, so many fun things to drink...and instead, you end up running a little, swimming (only as much as necessary to snorkel), walking on shore excursions, and climbing stairs forever.  And that is what counts as exercise.

It wasn't exactly what my coach told me to do, but on the flipside, it was restful.  Yeah, I'm supposed to be building up to IM Louisville, but I gotta say, this week of rest was probably what I needed between Rev3 and the next long couple months of hard training before the big day.  And so I'm good with it.  I came back less tired than I left and ready to dig in.




No comments:

Post a Comment