Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, June 28, 2013

It's not the heat...

I'm like a mosquito, I love humidity.  I don't sweat. -- Shakira

I realize it is incredibly unlikely anyone would confuse me for Shakira.  But just in case they needed one more difference in order to tell us apart...I am NOT like a mosquito.  Acclimating to the weather has been rough on me this week, and I haven't even really given it a good test.  Tuesday morning (around 9:30) and this morning (around 6:30) I went out for longish runs.  And nearly died.  Both times I carried my camelbak filled with water and nuun - I know I need to stay hydrated, but dang...my pace was slowed and I felt awful.

Here's my camelbak - it's cute, isn't it?  It holds 50oz of water plus has some pocket space for fuel.  (I think I actually have the previous year's version, because I got a killer deal on it this past spring.)

[photo:  REI]

Anyway, there was an article on Active.com this week about whether training in the heat is good for you.  Apparently the answer is yes - sometimes it is good, kind of like altitude training.  Of course it's important to stay safe & hydrated...but this morning I think the answer was no.  It was not good.  It made me feel like crap.  But there's a real good chance that I will be running in the heat for the races I have left this season, especially the HIM.  I guess I just need to get used to it.

Or else, I could channel Shakira and pretend I'm a mosquito.

No comments:

Post a Comment