Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thirsty Thursday and Happy Birthday to Me!

Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new. -- Sammy Hagar

So today is my birthday.  I'm finally the age that USAT has considered me since January 1.  (In triathlon, everyone changes age on the same day to make things easier for rankings, etc.)  Last year I turned 40 and had a bit of an existential crisis.  This year, turning 41, it kind of seems like no big deal.

Of course, I am celebrating - like any good training bunny would...by following my training plan.  Today called for a reverse mini-tri...30 minute run, 60 minute bike, 30 minute swim - ideally scheduled back to back.  And that's just what I did.   I did the run, came back and drank a little water from my water bottle for the bike, and then set out on the bike.  On the bike ride, I drank 20 oz of Nuun (electrolyte enhanced water).  Then I came home, put on my swim gear and hit the pool.  This whole schedule was carefully planned to allow me to finish my swim right before I had to pick up my youngest daughter for piano lessons.  (Swim at the pool at the Y, child in camp at the Y, piano lessons at the Y - perfect!)  I got done with my workout, got cleaned up, picked up child, and as we walked back into the Y for piano lessons, I realized I was about to die of thirst.  Not exaggerating - well, maybe a little exaggerating, but my mouth was so crazy dry.  I bought a G2 Gatorade from a vending machine at the Y and drained the bottle.  Still thirsty.  Refilled the bottle at the water fountain.  Drained it.  Still thirsty.

The problem is, if you get that thirsty, you are way too late.  I clearly did not hydrate appropriately on the run, bike, or swim - which is something I'm supposed to be thinking about with every workout -- not just because it is important that day, but to get myself into the groove of doing it automatically so it will come easy on race day.  I'm kind of embarrassed that I screwed this up.  Thankfully I didn't hit any of the other symptoms of dehydration.

That being said, since it is my birthday and I'm fully rehydrated now, I am going to quench my thirst with something a little more fun than water and G2.  There's a bottle of Hardywood Saison Rustica in my fridge, calling out my name.  Happy birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment