Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Public Persona

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.  -- Kurt Vonnegut

I am not a jewelry girl.  Hate it.  I'd prefer to wear only a running watch and even that is sometimes a drag.  (I also hate wearing shoes, but that's a different story.)  Jewelry often tells the public a lot about who you are, so I have chosen mine carefully.  Obviously my most important jewelry is my wedding ring.  It tells the world that I am a wife, a mother, a friend.  These are personas that are precious to me, but also fairly public.  I am regularly seen with my husband and/or my kids, I talk about them, etc.

My other persona, the "athlete," if you can call it that, is a little less public.  I've not been terribly open about my running and triathlon activities - in part because I'm slow and in part because people don't get it.  To many, I'm either totally insane (guilty) or totally amazing (not so much).  But at least before I decided to share this crazy journey, my athletic endeavors were generally something that I did not talk about, etc.

Despite keeping my athlete persona largely private, though, I have decided to wear jewelry that signals its existence.  I have two pieces of jewelry, one older and one newer, that are very special to me that say "athlete" to people who bother to look.

First is a necklace that my husband got me many years ago - probably during my 1st or 2nd year of doing triathlons.  It is from a company called Triclique (which doesn't seem to be in business anymore - too bad...although Milestone Sports also has some cute tri jewelry) and is a pretty representation of the three disciplines of triathlon.


(photo triathlongoddess.blogspot.com)

When I stopped doing tris a couple years ago, I stopped wearing it.  I felt like a poser proclaiming that I was a triathlete when really I was just a couch slug.  But last fall, after doing the couple of sprints to get me back into triathlons, I started wearing it religiously again.  In fact, I managed to break the chain.  Bummer - I bought a cheap one but it's getting kind of nasty, so I need to get another nicer chain so I can keep wearing it every day.

Last year was a big running year for me, so for Christmas, husband bought me this ring from Endure:

(photo endureshop.com)

(It says "live love RUN" for those of you with bad eyes...).  I wear this a lot of the days - it's a bit delicate so I have to be careful with it, but I love wearing it...at least as much as I love wearing any jewelry.  ;)

Will I get another piece of jewelry after I finish the HIM?  Maybe - I have a pendant that says 26.2 from when I finished my first marathon...I wore that for a while, but it started to feel like it belonged to someone else, so I stopped wearing it.  On the other hand, when I finish the HIM, I think I will always feel like a rockstar, so maybe getting a pendant or something to commemorate that will be the right way to celebrate.

(Don't ask me about the tattoo I want when I finish a full IM - that is a touchy subject!  Hubby and I are debating between celebrating with a car sticker (which he hates, but likes better than tattoos) or a tattoo (which I will really want when I do a full IM).  There are many years before that debate needs to be completed however.  One race at a time!)



No comments:

Post a Comment