Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Life is not a spectator sport...

As a spectator, you get to watch everything, but I'd much rather be playing than watching.  I'll have time to watch later in my career. -- Landon Donovan

This past weekend I got the chance to spectate at the Richmond Marathon.  IronSherpa husband was doing his first full marathon and as a show of support, the IronKids and I chased him around the course - seeing him at miles 7, 18, and 22.  We didn't get to see him at the finish line, because IronKid the Elder had a soccer tournament last weekend too...so it was one of those weekends.  Like every weekend.

I can't say I'm jealous - I mean - I am jealous, but I was never intending to run Richmond this year.  I was signed up for OBX Marathon that was the weekend prior, so this weekend was always going to be a spectator event for me.  But given that I deferred OBX until next year, it was harder than I expected.

The weird thing is what bothers me the most.  Finisher jackets.  Yeah, that's what I find to be the biggest trigger for jealousy, disappointment, etc.  I worked the marathon expo at the tri club's booth, so I got to see many of the participants.  And there were more than a few people wearing IM finisher jackets - those sleek black jackets with FINISHER across the behind.  That was what I wanted more than anything Louisville...and they still make me a bit weepy when I see people wearing them.  Doesn't matter what IM they are from.  Just the idea of having FINISHER across my butt is going to drive me from now until October of next year.  :)  Good to know, huh?

Anyway, IronSherpa had a great race.  I'm getting back into the running groove - did my longest run since Louisville this past weekend (6.5 miles)...OK, so it's 20 miles shorter than what IronSherpa ran, but still - it was an accomplishment for me.  And that's what's been going on here.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment