Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, March 14, 2016

RACE REPORT: Tobacco Road Marathon

Whenever you have taken up work in hand, you must see it to the finish.  That is the ultimate secret of success.  Never, never, never give up!  -- Dada Vaswani

Defeat doesn't finish a man, quit does.  A man is not finished when he's defeated.  He's finished when he quits. -- Richard Nixon

Yesterday I won at Tobacco Road.  No, I didn't come in first.  I didn't place in my age group.  In fact, I was nearly DFL.  But after a year of DNF and being hesitant to even start most of the time, the fact that I finished 26.2 (or 26.3, according to my Garmin) is a total win.

It was hard.  I wanted to quit a couple times.  I wasn't sure I'd finish towards the end, but I just kept chugging along.  And I saw it to the finish.  No defeat.  No quit.  Maybe I shouldn't have done the race, but once I started it, I think the fact that I finished is the boost that I need to start the tri season.  And for that I am happy.

I also got a big flippin' medal...so I am happy about that too.  This girl likes her bling.

Anyway, the first half of the marathon actually went really well.  I was supposed to stay in low Z1 with my heart rate, but my Garmin was being stupid, so I switched over to a 3:1 run:walk to try to stay in a decent HR space.  With that, I was able to stay within sight of the 6:00 pace group to mile 13.  Yeah me!  Much better than I expected.  Ate gus and gu chomps, drank water and gatorade, and generally felt really good.

The second half marathon was a different story.  I tried to keep going the same, but I was starting to feel it.  And then I lost the 6:00 group.  So I switched to 2:1.  And then I just had to walk with running when I could.  Everything hurt.  I wanted to quit.  And then I just walked...walked...waddled...plodded...well, you get the picture.  It poured rain for 3 miles.  But I kept going.  And I finished.  I was happy, because I broke the 7:00 time barrier.  I wish I could have done better, but I need to remember that this was a win.  It was win because it was a finish, even when I didn't want to.  I kept moving forward and that's the key.  

No comments:

Post a Comment