Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Flexibility

You must always be able to predict what's next and then have the flexibility to evolve. -- Marc Benioff

My official training plan for IM Louisville (by way of Raleigh 70.3) kicked off this week.  I have a 20-week plan to Raleigh (with an extra week built in for vacation in April), followed by a 12-week bridge plan from HIM to IM, both from Beginner Triathlete.  (Of course, all of this is spiced up with my marathon training plan until mid-March, but that's another post altogether.)

Wouldn't you know it, there are already flies in the ointment.  Unfortunately, with weather and kids, it's nearly impossible to "predict what's next."  Last night was single digit temps here, with sub-zero wind chill (cold for my neck of the woods).  No biggie about my training, since last night was Masters and today was a trainer ride.  The problem was that my kids had a 2-hour delay for school starting.  I managed that fine, but now there is a 2-hour delay tomorrow as well, which is kind of getting in my way.  See, I was planning on going to morning Masters, then to work, then to a meeting at work, then running at the Y.  But because of the delay, morning Masters isn't really going to work out.  Or morning Masters will be fine, but work will be a scratch.  So I need to figure out how to be flexible and still git'er done.

Interestingly, an article about the parent-triathlete balance crossed my inbox this morning, with the following quote:  "Sometimes life gets in the way of training, yes.  But being fairly inflexible about the actual workout--and more flexible with how and when you complete the workout--is key."  So I need to get the workout done - somehow, some way, whenever possible.  I owe that to myself.  And so dealing with tomorrow morning?  I have some ideas that I need to run by the hubby, but I think I can get my training sessions in without totally scratching work.  And that would be a win.

There's also that other flexibility thing.  Like touching your toes kind of flexibility.  Not my strong point, but as the training volume ramps up, I really would like to keep my body at least a little bit happy with me.  I've started doing core workouts a couple times a week, and now I'm trying to commit to doing some yoga-type exercise as well.  A while ago I bought this Yoga for Runners app - I like it a lot and just did one of the sequences tonight - the first time in a long time.  One reason I like it is that it isn't all freaky-deaky hippy-dippy yoga.  That's not my style.  It's straightforward, "do this stretch because it will open up your hips" kind of yoga.

Flexibility - I need both kinds.

No comments:

Post a Comment