Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snow Blows.

I remember three- and four-week-long snow days, and drifts so deep a small child, namely me, could get lost in them.  No such winter exists in the record, but that's how Ohio winters seemed to me when I was little - silent, silver, endless, and dreamy. -- Susan Orlean

So.  Snow.  Snow sucks.  And snow days when there is no snow sucks even more.  I've been a little tied up trying to meet a deadline, all the while wondering why my children are off school for an inch, maybe two of snow.  Monday was MLK day; Tuesday we waited for the snow to come -- all day; Wednesday the 1.5 inches of snow was here; Thursday the snow was still here; and Friday, heck, I don't know why they cancelled school any of the four days.  Needless to say, it threw me a little off my game.  My apologies for length between blog posts.

That being said, I ran my 18-miler in the "snow" on Sunday.  It kind of sucked too.  However, I made it 15 miles without walking and then walked the last 3.  My speed was fairly slow, in part because it was cold and in part because I was dodging the ice and slick spots on the sidewalks.  But I got it done - and then proceeded to go to a tough Masters swim a few hours later.  That was pretty stupid too.  :)

One of my goals is to blog more regularly as I head into my serious training for the upcoming season.  I think that it helps keep me more accountable to let folks know what I'm up to and what I'm thinking about while I train.  So hopefully you'll see me around here a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment