Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Bike Stable

Life is like a ten speed bicycle.  Most of us have gears we never use.  -- Charles M. Schultz

I am grateful for triathlon training, because I think it is forcing me to find gears that I don't regularly use.  I need to push myself harder in some of my training - harder than I would typically make my body work - and that is awesome.  But also, especially as my distances increase, I'm finding it necessary to slow down too.  And that's good, because sometimes I'm on such a high speed with life in general, having to deal with a long, slow run or ride can bring me back to a neutral speed...and that's just what I need.

Of course, in my crazy-awesome triathlon family, not only do we have more gears than we need, we also have more bikes than is normal.  :)  Check out the lunacy that is our bike stable, er I mean bonus room:


Who doesn't keep 4 bikes on the 3rd floor of their house?  What we really need is another trainer so we don't have to keep rotating the bikes on and off...especially since Freyja is so tiny and requires major trainer adjustment before and after every time I ride her.  That's a purchase on deck for spring when the local bike/tri coaching shop sells off their used ones, I think.

Speaking of the tri coaching shop, we went last night to the banquet for my daughter's tri training team.  It was so cool and inspirational to hear about all the fantastic athletes in town and see some of the folks I swim with wearing real clothes...2 piece suits (and I don't mean bikinis) and without goggles.  I really enjoyed it and daughter was pretty jazzed afterwards too.  I'm glad that, at least for now, she has found her activity.  The only concern I have is where we're going to put her bike in the 3rd floor stable if she keeps this up!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment