Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Changing Seasons

Every season, for me, it's like starting from scratch again.  -- Usain Bolt

The season is finally changing - the long winter seems to be over and the very short season of spring has arrived in the mid-Atlantic.  Look at these beautiful flowers that I saw this morning at work.  I know summer will be here soon, but I'm going to enjoy this while it's here.


My work season is changing.  My sabbatical is technically coming to an end as the spring semester wraps up.  Of course, I still have this summer without teaching responsibility, but that's the case every summer, so this week is the last true week that is extraordinary.  I have had a wonderful spring, accomplished a lot (although not as much as I would like), and have been refreshed, which is the whole point.  With summer comes more writing, but also some class preparation and other work.

Finally, the sports season is changing too - triathlon season starts for me this coming Saturday with the RTC Sprint and will wrap up four months from today with IMLOU.  It's also the beginning of open water swim season - and I'll be honest with you, that OWS monkey has managed to find his way back into my mind.  I'm quite nervous about getting back in the river.  It's cold.  It's fast.  And it's been since last September that I've done this.  I know I can do it...I think.  Probably.  Right?

I'm looking forward to triathlon season - I have a lot to prove this year...to myself, not anyone else.  This season is the time to build up, to cast away stones, and finally to dance with joy as I meet my goals.  To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven!

To everything - turn turn turn
There is a season - turn turn turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything - turn turn turn
There is a season - turn turn turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven...


No comments:

Post a Comment