Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Saturday, April 26, 2014

What a Difference a Year Makes!

All of us every single year, we're a different person.  I don't think we're the same person all our lives. -- Steven Spielberg

The Richmond Tri Club Sprint was my first race of the 2013 season (see race report)...and this year my tri season started with the same race.  What a difference a year makes!  Not only did I improve in all 3 segments, but I felt really awesome about the swim and the bike.

2013 1:28:13
Women 106/161 Age Group 19/22
Swim 11:41 21/22
T1 1:52 8/22
Bike 42:53 14/22
T2 2:00 16/22
Run 29:49 16/22
2014 1:23:32
Women 70/162 Age Group 14/26
Swim 9:37 15/26
T1 1:58 8/26
Bike 41:18 10/26
T2 2:01 18/26
Run 28:40 17/26

I took off nearly 5 minutes and moved into the middle of the pack, both in overall women and in my age group.  And since it's a race, making improvements in time is very important.  But something else - I felt good about both the swim and the bike, which is not something I could say last year.  I did get passed a bit while swimming, but I held my own in the pool - I didn't need to hang at the wall, I swam straight down the black, and I cornered right by the buoys, meaning I got into the wild, clawing, groping fracas that happens at the turns.  Speaking of groping, I think I may have made a few new "friends"...

As far as the bike, I was able to stay in aero on Freyja for pretty much the whole race, except when turning, etc.  It wasn't totally comfortable - that's something I really need to work on this summer, but I felt very confident in aero, which is really cool.

The run was fine - maybe a little disappointing, compared to how well everything else went.  My stride didn't feel good until after the first mile or so...I felt like I was short-striding it off the bike, not surprising, but for much longer than normal.  I guess I shouldn't be shirking my brick workouts, huh?

Other cool things about today's race:

  • My whole family volunteered at the race, they were rocking the water station.  
  • One of my blog readers introduced himself to me in real life - hey Rick (or Rich? - sorry, I'm not good with names)!  Nice to meet you and I'm glad you like my blog.  
  • Between being more involved with the tri club and Masters, there were lots of folks out on the course who knew who I was and cheered for me by name.
The tri season is off to a good start!


No comments:

Post a Comment