Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Thunder Road

Loud roared the dreadful thunder, the rain a deluge showers.  -- Andrew Cherry

Apparently Andrew Cherry was an Irish dramatist (so sayeth Wikipedia).

He could also be the local weatherman the last few days.  Not digging the weather here...not at all.  Monday evening I got to stand in the cold rain watching a middle school soccer game.  Rain and storms on Tuesday meant a long trainer ride, followed by a treadmill run.  Last night I could hardly sleep - in fact, around 3:30 am, I was fairly certain our house had been hit by lightning the thunder was so loud - the house was reverberating.  Given that there were going to be storms all day today, the plan was for me to go to swim this morning, rather than plan on the open water swim at night...that and the fact that each of my daughters was supposed to be in a different place at the time of open water practice.  I woke up thinking - crap, I'll be really mad if I drive down to swim and the pool is shut because of thunder & lightning.  But there was no information on the websites, so I drove down there - remembering halfway down that the pool where masters is held is grounded, so the weather is irrelevant.  Silly girl - but hey, it was 5:15 in the morning.  You can't expect perfect clarity out of anyone at that time of day.

So the lightning is thwarting my attempts to practice open water swimming, plus the fact that all this rain is putting the river at flood stage/unsafe for swimming, and then there is this little train accident upriver that dumped a bunch of oil in the river...


Yeah - looks like it will be who-knows-when before I get to attack that little OWS monkey.  Stupid monkey.

And as much as I love my trainer and Trainer Road, I really would be happier on the road.  And running in thunder storms, torrential rain, and tornado watches just doesn't seem safe to me.  Thunder Road is so much cooler as a song than a training condition.

I'm whining.  I know.  I'm turning into one of those old people who complain about the weather no matter what the weather is - I hated the snow, now I hate the rain.  And undoubtedly, I will...on at least one occasion...go on about the heat this summer (although that is my least unfavorite weather condition).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment