Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Insane or Dedicated?

A snow day literally and figuratively falls from the sky, unbidden, and seems like a thing of wonder. -- Susan Orlean

Yesterday was the first snow day for central Virginia.  Or "snow" day - because looking outside, there wasn't really ever that much on the ground.  It led to a very interesting morning, however, and cemented the fact that I am pretty much insane.  But you knew that already.

I got up at 5 to go to Masters - I knew that it was supposed to be freezing rain and I really wanted to go back to bed, but I looked at Facebook and since Masters hadn't cancelled, I figured it must not be too bad.  Also, the local schools hadn't closed yet...so I guess I should go.  I get all ready, taking my time, and checking (constantly) to see if there were any changes...but no.  So I start packing up the car - and as I'm heading into the garage with load #2 (Wednesdays are busy for me, so I had like 5 bags between swim gear, work clothes, work gear, and lunch), the house phone starts to ring...I grab it so the family is less disturbed AT 5:17 IN THE MORNING.  Two-hour delay for the local schools.  OK.  Fine.  Check Masters one more time.  No notice.  So I go.

It's slick getting out of my neighborhood, not so bad on the highways, but my windshield is icing over with the freezing rain.  Turn the defroster all the way up and creep along.  I am going to be late, but whatevs...it's better to be there late and alive, right?  I pull into the parking lot for Masters at 5:55.  Usually the parking lot is full at 5:50...but a lot of it is the high school kids that swim there.  But there are also usually cars where the grown ups park.  And there are NO OTHER CARS.  NONE.  Crap - I just risked life & limb, drove for 40 minutes (which is how long it normally takes...but there was NO ONE on the road but me...so even though I was poking along, there were no lights to stop at and no traffic), and there isn't even Masters?  Are you kidding me?

I park the car, check Facebook again...notice from Masters - its on, the coach is on the way, he'l be there soon.  OK.  And two other cars show up.  Idiots.  Oh, wait - if they're idiots, so am I.  Yeah, that light bulb went off.  When one of the other people goes in, I grab my gear and head in too.  It is so quiet at the pool.  Usually it's abuzz with high school kids and others.  But it's like...spooky it's so quiet.

Anyway - the coach shows up and there are 4 swimmers total.  I didn't want to get in the water, but hell, I was there.  And it turned out to be a great session - since there were only four people there (and 2 of them are great swimmers), the coach spent a lot of time with the other lady in my lane and me.  Basically a private swim lesson and I got a lot of coaching on things I need to work on, especially with body position.  So that was awesome.  Seriously - even though you'll probably hear me whine about how it's so hard to keep all these changes in my head while I'm trying to swim at the same time...but I am really grateful that I got up and went swimming yesterday.

And then I got out of the pool, got ready, went out to my car...and the local schools are completely closed and my job is basically on 2-hour delay.  It's 7:30am and campus doesn't open until 10.  Crap.  Now what - too far to go back home, so I might as well get some breakfast and go to work...

When I related the story of my morning to my friends (triathlete and non-triathlete), the reaction was pretty much the same - you are INSANE!  Yeah, well, one man's insanity is another man's dedication.  :)

And, hey - it was better than spending the day the way a lot of people spent the "snow" day...


(Yeah, I know - it's Bruno Mars...but who can not smile at this song, especially with the backup-dancer monkeys.  Seriously.)

No comments:

Post a Comment