Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Joy and Pain, Sunshine and Rain

I ran my fastest marathon in the rain. -- Bill Rodgers

I can tell you, folks, I am no Bill Rodgers.  For so many reasons, but in particular, because rain does not make me particularly fast.  Or happy.

On Sunday I ran the Frostbite 15K - yeah, it's a weird distance and a weird race.  I've run it the last two years and both times it was cold (once unpleasantly so), but usually sunny and dry.  Well, not this past weekend.  Instead, it was cold (unpleasantly so) and a monsoon, which is unusual, since we don't usually have monsoons in the midAtlantic.  :)

But before I whine anymore about the weather, let's do a little Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock, right?  Because you know you want to.


OK, now that we all feel better, or at least I do...the race.  Two years ago, I had a bad race, but this was when I was starting to come back from being lazy and sluggish...right before I started this blog and hit the HIM trail.  It took me 1:45.

Last year, I did it in 1:30 and was so excited.  I was absolutely glowing and in love with running.  Looking back, it is a beautiful thing to see...'cause I don't feel that love for running again yet.  And that makes me nervous because I have a marathon coming up in less than two months and I don't want it to suck.  But it also makes me happy because I know that I can come out from under a slump and start to love running and training again.  I just haven't gotten there yet.  YET.

Y'know what?  I don't want to even talk about this year's race.  I hated it.  I dumped a gallon of water out of my running jacket sleeves when I crossed the finish line.  My shoes are still wet almost a week later.  I still can feel a damp chill in my bones.  And I was even slower than two years ago.

But let's focus on the positive.  I've been down before and I got up.  And I can do it again.  So let's move past the Frostbite 15K and think about what's next...

No comments:

Post a Comment