Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, July 10, 2015

Food. Food. Food.

I think about food literally all day every day.  It's a thing. -- Taylor Swift


Food.  Food.  Food.  I have been sitting here this morning contemplating second breakfast.  I'm not a hobbit (although I may or may not have hairy toes).  But I am training for an Ironman and that training is getting serious.  However, I'm kind of stuck in a bit of a conundrum...(which by the way, is an excellent inexpensive white wine blend, but that's neither here nor there)...I want to always eat but I would also like to get a little bit of the cruise food weight off.  I know (and you know I know,  because I've whined about it before) that I would be a bit faster with a little less junk in the trunk.  But looking at tomorrow's forever long ride is making me hungry just thinking about it.

There is the benefit of summer that we've had a bunch of fresh fruit and veg around (although the veg I'm most likely to just pick up and eat are tomatoes, which are technically fruits, but neither here nor there).  I have a couple of thoughts on my eating and I have 84 days to experiment...so here's what I'm thinking:

1)  Keep up with the fresh fruits & veg.  And proteins are your friends.

2)  Don't shun carbs.  You need them to go 60+ miles on the bike or 10+ miles on the run.

3)  Figure out if you can partially dump the fake stuff on the long rides & runs.  To this end, I've gotten the Feed Zone & Feed Zone Portables books.  I'm going to try to make some real food snacks to see if they sit with me during training.  Now's the time to experiment after all.  I'll still stick with the Gatorade - need those electrolytes, especially in the heat & because I'll want to live at least mostly off the course.

4)  Beer tastes good in the summer, but stick with wine if at all possible.  Your waist will thank you.

5)  Don't deny treats...but don't feel like you have to compensate every hard workout, because you didn't earn THAT much junk!  Fast food after races only.  I mean it.

Let's see if these 5 guidelines (I don't like rules) will get me a little closer to the body I want to take to Maryland (and beyond).  I'm looking big picture here, folks...health, wellness, and being a good role model for the girls.  Feeding my family with healthy love, not junk.  And fueling my Ironman dream.

Tuesday - 7/7 - brick (1:30 ride, 2 mile run)
Wednesday - 7/8 - swim
Thursday - 7/9 - 11 mile run/walk

No comments:

Post a Comment