Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Summer Time...and the livin' is easy...

Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented. -- G.K. Chesterton

August brings into sharp focus and a furious boil everything I've been listening to in the late spring and summer. -- Henry Rollins

This summer feels different than last summer - for about a hundred recognizable reasons, but still, it feels off.  Taking our vacation for most of June kind of set summer back a month - yeah, I know that vacation is part of summer, but it's different when you're not in the summer routine.  It doesn't feel like summer - and then you come back and get blasted in the face with the summer routine and it's like, bam - where is summer?

Also, last summer, as I was coming up on August, I was starting to think about the end of Ironman training...but now, August is just another big build month before the last push in early September.  It's hard to know how I feel because the timing feels off, and I haven't been unslothlike enough to go back and measure 10 weeks out from last year to compare it to this year's training.  Instead, it's more fun to just panic.  :)

QOTD:  You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

And work - summer is a love/hate time of year for professors.  On one hand, its great to be off schedule and working at your own pace.  On the other hand, the semester looms and you know if you're going to get anything at all done, it needs to happen in the summer.  This summer, since I did nothing in June and then did a little bit of travel and advocacy in July, I feel like I haven't gotten into my summer work mode, but damnit, there's only a few more weeks of summer left to get EVERYTHING done.  Yikes.

Anyway, August is coming.  And with it, some long rides and runs that will necessarily be followed by beer - 'cause that's why it was invented.  I just need to relax and work through the rest of summertime...while the livin's easy...




No comments:

Post a Comment