Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Monday, July 20, 2015

Why Haven't You Been Blogging?

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. -- Thomas Jefferson

A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events and outcomes.  It is a catalyst and it sparks extraordinary results. -- Wade Boggs

This weekend, on a very long and very hot bike ride, my husband (IronSherpa) asked me why I am not really blogging any more.  My answer was "There are only so many ways to say 'I suck'."  I don't want to write about my whining and I'm sure you don't want to read about it.  But that's the real problem - I need to stop whining and stop thinking I suck.  I was in a much better place mentally last year when I was 2.5 months out from IM Louisville.  That said, I have 2.5 months to get myself in a good space for IM MD.  Ideally, it will happen sooner than later, because I need to have a good attitude for the training that is coming.  This week is a rest week...thank goodness, because I'm tired and I'm travelling.  But next week is huge and it only gets huger.  (More huge?  I don't know.)

A couple of things I'm trying to do is focus on some motivational quotes.  A friend of mine put up a link to a list of quotes to get you through triathlon training.  I've decided to cycle through them, one a day, for the next 2.5 months. Today's quote (QOTD):

A good goal should scare you a little and excite you a lot.

Well, IM MD certainly has the scare factor!  But I am also excited - not a lot right now, but I am excited and I will focus on that excitement, rather than the fear.

Another thing is that IronSherpa is doing his best to inspire me.  (Sometimes I feel like it is nagging, but I know he is doing this for me, and I do love him for it...but you know how sometimes the message is received based on the attitude you currently have?  Well, yeah.  That happens.)  He has sent me a couple of things to think about, and they are going to be part of my focus for the next 2.5 months also.  I'll put up the links now and talk about them later.

Gaining Mental Toughness by Michael Harlow
(He's the owner/head coach of the triathlon company that trains my younger daughter - and generally just an all-around awesome kind of guy.)

15 Habits of Mentally Tough People by Travis Bradberry
(from Entrepreneur Magazine)

I guess from these links you probably have figured out that I'm lacking a little in the mental toughness department (and probably in the physical toughness, too...but I need the mind to rule the matter).  This, I think, is the key to my success.

Anyway, the last thing I need to focus on is blogging.  I have been kind of sitting in a little black hole and ignoring that I am struggling with my training because of my pissy attitude.  It's time to snap out of it and get going...'cause when the going gets tough...


No comments:

Post a Comment