Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

What the Hill?

It is easier to go down a hill than up, but the view is from the top. -- Arnold Bennett

Quote of the day:  To truly enjoy the downhill, you must conquer the uphill.

For the next couple days, I am in Beaver Creek, Colorado.  Elevation - 8100 feet.  I drove through some higher cities on my way from Denver, but coming from low-land Virginia, these are some mighty big hills.  :)  Like mountain-sized hills.

Just because I'm traveling from work doesn't mean I get to skip training - it's a dropback week, but that is still a lot of work when we're just over 2 months out from the Ironman.  I didn't bring my bike, but I'm lucky enough to be staying at a resort that has a fantastic fitness center with a lap-pool and spin-type trainer bikes.  So I'll get my bike and swim on there.  But the run.  The run.   The run.

There is a beautiful path that goes through the resort and down to the town below.  (Below...3-4 miles down.  Which naturally means that there will be a 3-4 mile run back up to get back to the hotel.)  Last year, I ran down and kind of walked up, but this year I have the goal of running down and back up again, no matter how slow I have to go, between the climb and the elevation.  The view up here is lovely.  I will enjoy and conquer the climb.


No comments:

Post a Comment