Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, October 10, 2013

All Thumbs

My rule of thumb is that if I am interested or intrigued by something, others will be as well. -- Wolf Blitzer

A couple of thoughts on thumbs...my rule of thumb is that most people are NOT interested or intrigued by what I am interested or intrigued by.  Triathlon is pretty much still a "fringe" sport, despite the fact that nearly everyone I know does them.  That has more to do with the people I hang with than the fact that triathlons are for normal people.

That being said, now that I'm wearing my awesome 70.3 necklace, lots of people are wondering what the hell it is all about.  It's actually kind of funny what people think...a sample of some questions I've answered recently:  Did you run that far?  (No.  It was a triathlon.)  OMG, did you swim that far?  (Are you flippin' kidding me?)  Is that how many hours it takes?  (What kind of drugs are you on?)  If that's only half, how far is a full IM?  (Uh.  Can you do math?)  Are you serious?  (No.)  Are you crazy?  (Yes.)  You are awesome.  (Hella yeah.)

But back to thumbs.  Two thoughts.  First, how awesome are running jackets with thumb holes?  Why don't all long-sleeved clothing items have thumb holes?

Yeah.  That's my hand.  My fingers aren't nearly as long as they look in this picture - really.  But check out that awesome thumb hole.  I have 3 jackets with thumb holes and they are my favorites.  Ever.  If I wear a long sleeve shirt while I'm running (and not one of these jackets), I ball up my hand inside the sleeves except for my thumbs.  These are just much more efficient.

And for good reason.  My thumbs have a mind of their own when I run.  In fact, when I run, my thumbs look like I'm hitchhiking.  Or giving you a thumbs up.  Either way, seriously weird.  Check this out.





Seriously.  There are just a few of the races I've done.  Doesn't matter if it's a running race or a triathlon - there's my thumb.  Funny, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment