Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Blame It on the Rain

One must know the so-called 'lesson of a downpour.'  A man, caught in a sudden rain en route, dashes along the road not to get wet or drenched.  Once one takes it for granted that in rain he naturally gets wet, he can be in a tranquil frame of mind even when soaked to the skin.  This lesson applies to everything. -- Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Rainy run today - I run in the rain, because it seemed for a while, whenever I had a race scheduled, it would rain.  Like it was my fault - the heavens would open up because, oh, TriMom is racing, guess it better rain!  OK, so I'm not really in charge of the weather, and if I was, I wouldn't ask for rain while I'm racing, obviously.  But the thing of it is, there is actually some peace in running in the rain.  Not crazy soaker downpours - noone likes those, but today was a good steady drizzle.  I was soaked when I finished my eight miles.  And it was a great run.  I achieved a tranquil frame of mind, even when soaked to the skin.

The problem is I haven't actually figured out how to take this lesson and apply it to things besides running in the rain.  Yet.  I think the first step is probably to stop blaming everything bad on the rain.  There's going to be rain in life, and I'm going to get wet.  But so what?  When I figure this out, then I will find a tranquil frame of mind.  In the meantime, I'll hang with Milli Vanilli and blame it on the rain.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment