Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Who, me?

Am I athletic?  In my dreams.  -- Hugh Bonneville

I'm still settling into the "injured" phase - hobbling on crutches is not a strong point of mine and I hate not being able to do anything.  It was especially irritating the day after the race when my husband had to fill my plate at a breakfast buffet.  (More irritating for him, than me, I imagine...)  Hopefully I will have some answers and plans for the future after I see the ortho this afternoon.

Another irritating thing is realizing that I can't eat like a lumberjack anymore, particularly since I'm just sitting on my duff.  :(  Unfortunately my brain is light years ahead of my gut on this matter, and I still feel constantly hungry.  Ugh.  Hopefully I'll be up and running (and biking and swimming) again soon.


There is one cool thing that has come out of this, though.  A few of the messages I've gotten via e-mail or Facebook after the race have mentioned that all athletes get injured - it's just part of life.  The funny thing is that I've never thought of myself as an athlete really.  I'm just a plain old middle-aged mom that likes to swim, bike, and run too far.  That's not athletic.  It's crazy. It's fun.  But not athletic.  Maybe I just need something to hold onto right now, but I think it is time to embrace the "athlete" moniker.  I am an athlete.  All athletes get hurt at some point.  Being an athlete is better than being an athletic supporter.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment