Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Confounding Calendars

Every time you tear a leaf off a calendar, you present a new place for new ideas and progress. -- Charles Kettering

It probably won't surprise you that I rely heavily on my calendar.  (I'm also a neurotic list-maker, but that's a topic for another day.)  Our family uses Cozi - it lets you give each person a color so you can instantly see who's involved.  I even have two colors - one for work appointments and one for home obligations.  If it's not on the calendar, it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.  Which is great...when I check it.

I was working on my training plan for March -- I like fresh new months, time to plan just a few weeks ahead.  I'm trying to balance the rest of my run training to get through the trail half-mary with building up my time on the bike and squeezing in masters swimming, all the while working around soccer carpool, work meetings, and other busyness.  (And don't even get me started on the busyness this week.  I can barely breathe most days at work right now...waiting for it to calm down for a couple weeks before hitting another busy stretch...and then summer - sweet sweet summer.)  Anyway, I sat down this weekend and plotted out what seemed to be a doable couple of weeks before the race.  I was so proud of myself.

Until I was talking to my husband last night about juggling kid activities next weekend because I'm going out of town.  And I had one of those "what did I forget...was it the iron?" moments... Oops.  Forgot to build that whole going out of town thing into my training schedule.  Plus it's a cross-country trip and a red-eye flight...I can sleep on planes, but red-eyes still kind of toss me off my rhythm.  Tear up that version of the March training calendar and start over.

I don't want to clutter up our Cozi calendar any more than it already is with the girls' activities, the husband's not-work obligations (he keeps his own work calendar), and my whole life -- seriously, sometimes one day fills up a whole screen...but somehow I need to make sure I integrate my life calendar into my training plan calendar (ideally the first time).  I already know I have another trip in April and then family vacations and stuff in June.  To counter some of this, I'm going to start the HIM training plan a week early.  Whew - this planning stuff is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment