Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Training - 2/10-2/16...and thoughts on yesterday's race

A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest.  I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. -- Steve Prefontaine

Here's a run-down of last week's training.  It was a lighter week in anticipation of the half mary yesterday.  Maybe a little too light, but I was tired.

Sunday 2/10 - 8.01 mile run
Monday 2/11 - 20 minute cycle, yoga
Tuesday 2/12 - 2 mile run, 750m swim
Wednesday 2/13 - 3 mile run
Thursday 2/14 - rest
Friday 2/15 - rest
Saturday 2/16 - RACE Half Mary

So.  The race.  I ran a really good (for me) 9 mile race.  Unfortunately, the race distance was 13.1 miles...and at the end of the day, my watch said it was even longer (13.37).  Those last 4 miles - not so good.

The race course was pretty awful and the weather was worse - cold with a wintery mix.  The course included some stairs, some narrow passages, and hills.  At least at the beginning of the race, there were a number of choke points where I just stood waiting.  Of course it thinned out eventually, but it is a huge irritation.  Especially when you have hail and snow falling on you.  It was a tough race.

The bigger problem is that my knee was twingy - and afterwards (and today) it downright hurts.  I taped it before the race as a precaution, but apparently I needed more.  There will be much stretching and strengthening in my future, because I can't let the knee derail my HIM plans.  The last 4 miles were difficult mentally and physically - and my ability to STRIVE was not as strong as I would have liked.  The race was disappointing, but it did give me an idea of some things that I need to work on...more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment