Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, February 15, 2013

The Stuff of Tri

Too much of a good thing can be wonderful. -- Mae West

Being a triathlete requires a lot of stuff.  At least it seems that way.  My husband is just starting to do tris this year and is shocked at how much stuff he has had to buy.  On the other hand, I am starting to wonder where all my stuff came from.  My world is overflowing with tri stuff.  No really - look - here's my dresser.


It's a little amusing, until you realize there are only 3 drawers that aren't labeled with tri-related gear.  And they're small drawers.  The pink bag to the left of my dresser is my tri bag.  It is filled with more stuff - shampoo if I go to the gym, nutrition (bars, gels), ponytail holders, spare money from various times when I've bought a Gatorade at the gym and threw the change in the bag, various race-related swag (bumper stickers, key rings, etc.).  

It isn't contained in the corner of the bedroom though - there's obviously tri gear in the garage (and you've already seen Baby and the trainer in the family room).  We also have commandeered the master bathtub as a place for wet or sweaty clothes.



Last year I gave away something like 50 t-shirts to Goodwill - I'm betting 40-45 of those were sport related and the other 5-10 were from the Blood Bank.  (They are serious t-shirt pushers there, those blood suckers.)  Maybe too much of a good thing is not always wonderful.  And I'm not even one of those people who is into having the latest & greatest - I usually just replace what wears out.  But if they're handing out swag - I'm not going to turn it down.

On the other hand, being involved in triathlons also makes gift giving easy...which of course results in the accumulation of more stuff.  For Valentine's Day, I gave the husband fancy running socks and he gave me a new RoadID -- a tag to wear around my wrist or ankle with emergency contact stuff.  Awesome present!

No comments:

Post a Comment