Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Brrrrrr

I enjoy hiking and skiing, like most Norwegians.  In winter, there will be snow for months on end.  In the summer, there are the long evenings to enjoy. -- Magnus Carlsen

It seems to me that I have traded in most of my proud Norwegian, hearty Midwestern blood for thin Southerner blood.  It is SOOOO cold - and it really hasn't gotten cold yet!  OK, so I never learned to ski, but I never minded being outside in the cold.  As a kid, we'd be out playing in the snow for hours.  Now, after being in Virginia for seven years, I have turned into a complete pansy when it comes to being cold.  And freezing rain/sleet/snow?  Forget about it - I'm not going out in that stuff...which is why today's 6 mile run will be done on the treadmill at the YMCA.  Not the most fun idea I've had, but since it's currently in the mid-30s and raining, with the temperature dropping and snow expected - well, I'm not running outside.

Good for my husband, though - he finished his first half-marathon ever in crummy weather on Sunday morning!  And he rocked the time.  Go, husband!  (Despite growing up in Michigan, he's also gotten very puny when it comes to cold weather...but better him running this past Sunday than me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment