Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Friday, December 6, 2013

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. -- Norman Vincent Peale

Yesterday it was in the high-60's here...unseasonably warm, which is awesome.  (There is, however, snow/freezing rain in the forecast for Sunday, but let's pretend that isn't real for a little bit.)  Hubby was able to take the little one to her triathlon training, so I was able to run from home through the nearby neighborhoods.  I got in a really nice 6-mile run while checking out the early Christmas lights.  Between the nice weather and the pretty sites, I had a fantabulous run.  Yes, that is a real word.  For serious.


I love Christmas.  I love Christmas lights.  I love the smell of real trees (even if I hate the mess and I have a heck of a time keeping the darn thing alive for 3 weeks).  I love surprising people with presents.  I love Christmas cookies...but I'm trying to avoid them this year.  I love our Elf on the Shelf.  I love love love Christmas.  But it's hard, because it's always at a crazy time of year for my job and so it often seems like I'm more cranky than happy about it.  In law school I remember having to shop for presents on Christmas Eve because I was too busy before then - it's not quite that bad now...but close.  But if I remember to push aside the crazy and enjoy the season (not to mention the Reason for the Season), it's the most wonderful time of the year.  And getting to run and look at the Christmas lights last night gave me a chance to see the world as a softer and more beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment