Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.
-- Omar N. Bradley

Thursday, December 26, 2013

I've Got the (virtual) Power (meter)!

The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be. -- Bruce Lee


Or as the German electronica band Snap! says..."I've got the power!"

For Christmas, I got the Sodastream machine that I had wanted.  I don't know if I've ever drunk as much water in one day as I did yesterday.  I'm sure the novelty will wear off, but it's so nice to just bubble water whenever I want it.

The family also surprised me with a Riiiide speed/cadence sensor to use on my bike when I'm on the trainer.

Photo:  4iiii

It was a real beast to get it set up properly - my pedals were screwed on very tightly, so we couldn't get the one off to put the cadence magnet on the crank.  Then we couldn't get the magnets to line up with the sensor.  Eh.  Thankfully hubby and father-in-law were doing it, because it was just ticking me off.

After they got it set up, I signed up for TrainerRoad - a program that takes data from ANT+ heart rate and speed/cadence sensors to calculate virtual power, which it uses to adjust your workout and encourage you to train at certain levels.  I'm hoping this will help get my biking back up to snuff, since I've neglected it this fall.  I did the FTP (functional threshold power) test program to set my training zones, but I hadn't set the program up quite right, so I only had heart rate, not virtual power.  I tried to calculate my virtual power using some formulas on line, but then I tried another workout today and the recommended power targets seemed way off, so I need to do the FTP test again (with the right buttons clicked) so I can get measured power zones.  Kinda sucks, 'cause the FTP test is hard - it's supposed to be - but to get the most out of TrainerRoad, I figured I should have the best numbers.  And then I can get to work on being a more powerful biker - faster, with less effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment